Stinkin’ Thinkin’ has a policy no censorship, and we will allow just about anything short of personal threats and the publication of another person’s private information. That is not to say that we would not ban anyone, but it would take a class A asshole to meet the standard that it would take to get there. We have this policy for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, we believe the best way to learn and understand is with a free exchange of ideas. Beyond that, free speech tells a lot about a person, and much of the vile we see here in our comments section says more about the person writing it than we could ever articulate.
Unfortunately, most of the truly crazy gets lost in abyss of the comment section, and that is a shame, because much of what we see written here re-enforces the very things we write about – specifically the use of shut down aphorisms, personal attacks and thought stopping sayings; as well as the flawed logic and irrational thinking that characterizes so many who have fallen under the spell of AA.
We thought we would create a space to highlight the most egregious comments, or those that are so outrageously stupid, that they break the most basic premise of a civil discussion – and that is that we premise are arguments on at least a smidgen of reality.
Below you will find a listing of some, but not all of the of the infractions in discourse that will land you in the dunce room:
- Godbotting Making an argument based on what the ‘Big Book’ says, as though it is the authoritative word. Make your arguments based on logic and reason, not on your holy scriptures.
- Gaslighting Presenting false information as though it is factually correct, and basing your argument on this information; pretending what is patently obvious is not; you may have your own opinions, but not your own facts on which you base them.
- Slogabosity The excessive use of AA slogans in a single comment. We understand that using only a couple of slogans shows tremendous restraint for an AA, but anything beyond that we really cannot tolerate.
- Logical Fallacies So many are used by AAs, and so often, that it is impossible to itemize them here. We know them when we see them, and we will point out the more egregious ones here.
- Whackadoodlry A special blend of delusion and nuttiness. It isn’t against the rules, but it is highly entertaining. We’ll highlight here the ones which are glaringly funny.
- Serenity Ranting This is when you come stomping in here with your rage on, and start shrieking about how perfectly goddamn happy and peaceful you are.
- Lunacy This blog isn’t a share session. We don’t have to tolerate delusion.
- Stupidity Reserved for only a jaw dropping display of idiocy.
- Filibustering Intentionally posting long rants and arguing simply to be a prick, and to prevent any sort of reasonable discourse. This is what will most likely get a person blocked, at least for a while. Take your civil disobedience to an abortion clinic or a nuclear plant if you feel like shutting someone down.
- Ad Hominem Attacks and general name-calling Don’t be a dumbass.
Infraction: Serenity Ranting
“AA saves peoples lives…I am a recovering Heroin addict and a therapist… I had tried everything available before going to AA, as did my firends who are also in recovery. People who mock AA either do not have a problem with addiction, are too big of pussy’s to actually try the program or are sober and still living like assholes and are miserable! To you…Piss off!!!”
Infraction: Serenity Ranting, Whackadoodlry
Oh, and your friend… who shared the amend letter with you? Don’t leave her at your back with anything like a knife in her hand.
Her sharing the sacred amend with you is her problem. The guy who made the amend, he’s forgiven…even though he was making amends to a snake who is not worthy to receive it.
He’ll go on and be fine, sober and free. Meanwhile, your mealy mouthy whore friend can live with the unforgiven amend till she croaks. You ought to go throw a resentment pity party for her… and bring her some good Scotch.
Forgiveness is a fucking gift and an opportunity.
Infraction: Slogabosity, Whackadoodlry, Godbotting
Suzie, If you have a drinking proplem go to a different meeting. If you stop drinking you will only become a dry drunk. If you try to do it on your own just read the first 146 pages of the big book and follow the steps outlined there exactly as they are written. The court papers can be signed by anyone the important thing is to get help if you need it. Never start a relationship in AA unless you have at LEAST a year or two under your belt. My advice is to figure out who the winners are and hang with them. There are many 13 stepers out there that disgust me! I see them swarm the newcomer like bees that pollunate flowers. Don’t ever be fooled by the length of anyones sobriety. It’s quality of sobriety that counts. Forgive yourself and move on.(not your fault) This program is based on love.We’ve all fupped duck at one time or another or we wouldn’t be in the program. Work the steps and all the crap you’ve put yourself through will go away.
Dunce: Tony J
Infraction: Whackadoodlry, Lunacy, Serenity Ranting
The average anti-AA doesn’t think there is a God. Naturally they think AA is trying to con the member out of something because that’s what they would do if they had power over others. They would use them for their own selfish ends and then discard them.
The whole premise of the anti-AA movement is one of nihlism. They offer no solution to the problem of alcoholism. Many of them don’t even believe there is such a thing.
Their sole purpose in life is to tear down AA and mocking AA members who are foolish enough to share their story online. They do this with nothing positive to offer in return.
It’s nice coming over here to see how sick I could be, but it’s also kind of boring.
Besides, if we actually convinced any of these dopes that AA wasn’t big cult, it would have the same effect as telling a 5 year old there was no Santa. They put so much emotion into the fantasy and they’re not mature enough to handle reality, it’s almost not fair.
Dunce: Tony J
“Another little factoid. Almost all forms of treatment have a placebo effect of 30%, this can be for a drug, a medical intervention or whatever. ”
So you’re saying that if we gave 100 cancer patients sugar pills, 30 of them would be cured because of the ‘placebo’ effect ?
Why don’t you sell your knowledge to the insurance companies. We’re in the middle of a health care crisis you know. Why treat patients with expensive drugs when a sugar cube will do.
Dunce: Tony J
Infraction: Serenity Ranting, Stupidity
So are you asserting that no Harvard grad has ever attended AA or that only the ‘inferior’ ones go ?
I hear they let Jews and Negros into Harvard these days, you know the ‘lesser’ classes. I guess they might go to AA and fit in, right ? But they aren’t real ‘Harvard men’ are they ??
The only thing you’ve said on this entire blog that I believe is that you’re too smart for AA.
But I knew that a long time ago.”